Friday, January 15, 2010

A belated Christmas Reflection

So, I actually wrote this blog a few weeks before Christmas, but I still think that they are good thoughts that I wanted to share with you.



It´s almost Christmas. I honestly cannot believe it. This will be my third Christmas away from home, my second in Ecuador. I am still not used to the heat around this time of year. It strikes me how much climate affects my understanding of time. Our joke in community is that our time in Ecuador is perpetually August. Listening to Christmas carols, particularly Bing Crosbys White Christmas, I am overcome with nostalgia for what marks Christmas at home. Cold, hats, scarves, gloves, Christmas lights, familiar Christmas carols . . . although talk to me next year and see how I feel about all of that – it may be one of those things that I miss a lot because I cant have it, and once I get it back Im sure I will miss the warmth of Guayaquil.

We are doing our best to get ourselves in the Christmas spirit. A few weekends ago we went to the Bahia – the huge outdoor marketplace in the center of Guayaquil – and bought some Christmas lights, a small Christmas tree complete with blinking light-up star, and a Nativity set made out of rubber that would also serve as an awesomely Christian bath toy set. It is hilarious.

Although I am missing home quite a bit lately, there is something about Christmas here that I do love. In Ecuador, Christmas is actually about Jesus. Its about getting ready to receive God – there is a focus on repentence, forgiveness, humility, and family. I think that sometimes we lack that focus in the states, or so that I am not speaking for anyone but myself, to be honest, there have been Christmases in the past when I have forgotten what the heck it is that I was supposed to be celebrating. Yeah, Santa is pretty sweet, and man Nanny and Grandpas Italian Christmas feast is to die for, but it is afterall supposed to be celebrating the birth of Christ.

In our Rostro community, and with the Ecuadorian community in Monte Sinai, we have been reflecting during this Advent season about what this time of year means for us. I have been especially struck by what it means that God put Gods self on this earth. Even more astounding to me is the form that God took. Everyone was looking around, crying out, expecting, wanting, needing even a king. But Jesus came to us as a baby – the most innocent, dependent, small way He could have come to us. So, what does that mean for me? Why is that even important? I know God does big things for us, but I think that it is easy to neglect the small packages that He comes in too. If God showed us who God is in a baby, imagine all of the other places God actually is. It makes me look harder for Him, appreciate Him better, it makes me want to be a better steward of His creation because He is literally in all of it.

Things in the new neighborhood have been wonderful. I am still teaching catequism. The kids are finally coming out of their shells, which also means some behavior issues, but all of you who know me know that I love the trouble makers. We have been having a lot of fun, and it is a true gift to spend time with them every week. Slowly but surely I have been getting to know the families we were introduced to in the first weeks. My heart feels right when I am spending time with them. I think it is safe to say that we are enjoying each others company.

Of course this year is not without struggle, but I will save that for another blog. I am constantly praying for grace, either to accept what is given to me and cannot control, but also for grace when I stand up and speak out, that I may always act in a way that demonstrates love.

Okay – stay warm up there in the states. It looks like the rains are coming here, so we are getting ready for the heat. I am thinking and praying for you all. Peace.

No comments: