Friday, January 15, 2010

Playing Catch-Up

As usual, I have broken my promise. Things have been so crazy here lately, that finding time to sit down and write a blog has seemed impossible. Let me see if I can catch you up.

Well, the Christmas season has come and gone (read below my belated Christmas reflection . . . whoops) and it was full of blessings. Christmas Eve was packed: a full RdC morning of reflection, three masses in Mount Sinai in the afternoon and evening, a late dinner with some of the street kids from the shelter I used to work at in Duran, and very little sleep leading into Christmas. While kids are ushered into bed with promises / threats of Santas arrival in the homes of only the sleeping children, families are up practically all night here. Anyway, I spent Christmas morning at mass in Arbolito and most of the day with Carolyn at Franciscas house with her family. In the afternoon, I met up with all of the volunteers and we sang Christmas carols at Damien House, a hospital and clinic for patients with Hansens Disease (formerly known as leprosy). Many of the patients there are elderly and have no family. I always love going there, and to have been able to spend some of my Christmas with them again this year was fantastic. That night we had an Italian feast with Sr. Annie (the founder of Damien House and great friend of Rostro) and Pat and Sonya (the founders of Nuevo Mundo and also great friends of ours). There, we ate until we couldnt eat anymore, and sang our favorite Christmas carols. It was a packed Christmas, but it left no time for homesickness.

I spent my vacation time between Christmas and New Years in Arbolito. The past few months have been difficult for me (another part of the reason for lack of blogging) and I just needed some quiet time with friends and family. I needed to feel like I was home, and considering Massachusetts was not an option, Arbolito was perfect. I ate good food, caught up with old friends, and got to spend some great time with the Duran volunteers. I laughed a lot, recharged my batteries, and I think got back in touch with my mission here. Finally.

Since then, the rains have come to Guayaquil. The heat is out of control, and all of the dust that we have been learning to deal with has changed to mud. So, although now I feel overally more comfortable breathing, I have to be really careful where I step. The other day in the neighborhood, to avoid being hit by a bus, I stepped on the side of the road onto a patch of ground that looked to be dried mud, but quickly realized it in fact was not dry. Things to laugh about at least.

The Boston College retreat group has come and gone. Sharing time with them while they were here was such an uplifting experience. We were able to bring them to Monte Sinai and meet one of our beloved neighbors, Monica. They were the first group we have brought to our new home, and the first time Monica has ever had 18 gringos in her house. The visit was surreal, beautiful, and joyful for the retreants, for Monica, and for me as I was able to see anew what Rostro actually is. I think that I take for granted the gift it is to spend time in this place, with these specific people - it is a normal part of my day and my life. But being able to watch this group of visitors engage with my friend, come to know a part of her life, laugh with her, and become a part of her story now too, I was overcome with so much emotion, gratitude, and grace. Watching people love each other fills you with love too. Its infectious.

And, Elyse is back! I mean, just for a visit (even though we never want her to leave) but having her in our house, learning more about what we are doing this year, listening to her share her faith, and just being in her presence pumped a new life source into my being. I am so sad to see her go, but she has left behind an energy that was so needed.

And then there was the birthday. Simple, in line with my life down here. Just a dinner,(cook out!!!), movie, and cake with my community, Megan, Elyse, and two of her godkids who I got to know really well last year. I was just happy all day though. I realized how special it is that I get to celebrate another birthday here in Ecuador . . . and how lucky I have been to spend so many birthdays in so many different parts of the world. Belize, El Salvador, Boston, Ecuador . . . I have been a lot of places in my life with some truly amazing people - I have so much to be thankful for. I have had such a full 24 years of life!

I think thats it in a nut shell. Keep the prayers coming . . . especially for a new house. We still have not moved into the neighborhood - we are living in some temporary housing that is about a half hour outside of Monte Sinai. Its not the easiest thing living so far away, but hopefully we will live in our new home soon. Thanks for reading --- take care of yourselves.

1 comment:

Brady said...

thanks for the update, amy! i was so happy to read the part about the BC visit - sad i could not be a part of the team again this year. keep the blogs coming when you can! sending love to you from spain. emily