Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The One Month Anniversary

Yes friends, we have done it! All 12 of us have survived our first month living in Duran Ecuador as Rostro de Cristo volunteers. Some days it feels like Ive been here for longer, like I got the hang of everything. But then an hour will go by and I will realize that in fact I know very little in comparison to everything I have yet and need to learn. What a cool way to live life, right!

Okay, down to the nitty gritty of my life. Work. Its going pretty well if I do say so myself. My two jobs are turning out to be vastly different although they are both primarily me trying to connect with boys. My English class at Chicos de la Calle is the highlight of my mornings. The boys are smart, energetic and productive when I can channel that energy into something academic. We are flying through adjectives and some verbs. I feel so comfortable standing in front of the classroom . . . the dont intimidate me anymore.

Everyday I learn something new about one of the students home lives or past life. Some of them are going through things I would never have imagined before meeting them and I am doing my best to support them the best way I know how. If you could pray for them, for those who are trying to make positive life choices in the face of so many negative options and pressures, I would really appreciate it. I have been finding strength in my faith, and in many of you, to continue to open myself up to whatever they need. To be the space that they are looking for. Granted, sometimes they take me for quite the ride, but deep down I know that they want to be good.

So sometimes my mornings are tiring, but I get to come back home and then take off for Semillas. It is the most packed time of day for me but honestly most of the time it doesnt even feel like Im working. These kids impress me everyday and they teach me so many new things. When they complete an activity, or just play in peace with each other I find myself full of pride and wonder at who they are. I feel God in this place with more strength than I have in a long time. The way that that these kids fill me comes from something outside of myself. I feel like I am doing the right work, even when I mess up. I love seeing how proud they are of themselves too. That is a huge part of my job . . . to help them see themselves and each other the way I see them. It doesnt feel like work. It feels like love.

All in all I am really enjoying my time here. Im learning how to cook, sometimes by making some interesting and not the best tasting decisions for dinner. My Spanish feels better every day and Ive taken to laughing at myself when I sound stupid. It actually is really funny. Im taking things lighter than I usually do, not to say that Ive lost any of my intensity . . . far from it in fact. But the way I am, my forma de ser, here is much different. In the past, I have focused so much on doing, on changing, analyzing, talking it out, getting fired up about an issue and reacting to that experience. Here, maybe its a sign of my maturity . . . hahaha . . . I find myself sitting back and listening. Asking questions but not prying. My life here is not academic. Im learning yes, but Im learning who people are on a deeper level than Ive ever tried to get. I love spending time doing the things Im doing. Im looking right in front of me instead of into my own head, or my textbook, or other things. Im trying to really see where I am and who I am with. I find that I am enjoying life more and smiling a whole heck of a lot.

As always, I hope that you are all well. I am thinking and praying for you often, as is my community here. Thank you for the emails and letters and warm wishes. I hope to hear more about your lives and thoughts soon. Paz.

1 comment:

Nate "JoaquĆ­n" Radomski said...

Amy-

I hope you and your housemates are doing well. I dont have any of your email addresses, so hopefully you get this. Anyway, Dan and I will be sending down a package in the next few months and I wanted to know if you guys in Arbolito wanted anything in particular (every year has their certain thing). I hope all is going well with you guys. Email anytime and I send all my love.

Nate

nateradomski@gmail.com